Thursday, June 14, 2012

Epiphany

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/01/66198?currentPage=all Each year millions, if not billions, are spent researching the genetic variations that result in disease. If evolution works the way we think it does, however, there should be evidence of genetic variation that results in resistance to disease (see the above link). The theoretical problem is that because these individuals with disease resistance are healthy, they are not as readily identifiable as individuals or families that are sick with disease. With technology, communication, and health records the way they are now, I don't see why this should be an obstacle any more. Having seen a number of very elderly 90+ year-old patients in the hospital, I have to wonder if there is something within their genomes that makes them less suceptible to cancer, infection, autoimmune disease, etc. Yes, they lived healthy lifestyles as well, but I bet there is something else there. Understanding disease is important and deserves research dollars, but I think more attention needs to be paid to also understanding health.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty Alice, while sharing their trip photo to Africa, said: "the tour guide said: there is not one animal in Africa get to live to old age."
    I've wondering the gene for +90 persons can only display the effect if other more common social effects (war, calamity, etc.) have not filter the gene out.
    YeYe (grandpa) would not live to now (+90) if his airplane was down during the war. Uncle Lee (our dentist) always said I have good "tooth gene" (not brushing my teeth and they all working just fine.) But his annual cleaning is important.
    I've always think I cannot play basketball because my gene from YeYe is not fast enough. YeYe did not get to fly P51 (a fighter plane, see: http://flic.kr/p/7jA7qh ), and ends up flying B29 and C46 (the slow moving bomber and cargos).
    If the gene theory works, Hsieh boys should not ride bike toooo fast!!

    ReplyDelete